Boyer & Ritter understands the dealership world inside and out. We offer a regional presence, national reputation, and client-endorsed expertise to over 375 dealerships in the Mid-Atlantic region. Our experience, connections, and specialized knowledge uniquely position us to assist you in your success, overcome challenges, and highlight new ideas. No other firm can match our expertise in our market!
In addition to providing typical tax and financial reporting services, we often assist with valuations, acquisitions and sales, succession strategies, process improvement, and internal controls to name a few.
Boyer & Ritter's highly experienced team includes approximately 20 full-time dedicated professionals, including four who bring in-house dealership experience. We work closely with NADA and PAA on advocacy and education efforts impacting the industry. Additionally, Boyer & Ritter is a founding member of the AutoCPA Group, the oldest nationwide 20 Group of CPA firms specializing in servicing automobile dealerships throughout the United States and Canada (collectively representing approximately 2,000 dealers). Check out the AutoCPA Group newsletter, Headlights, as well as other articles impacting dealers in the tabs above.
Consulting Services We Offer to Dealerships Include:
- Cost Segregation Studies
- Partial Asset Dispositions
- Tangible Property Regulations
- Business Valuations & Consulting
- Estate and Liquidity Planning
- Process Improvement and
- M&A including locating buyers and sellers
- Deferred Compensation Plans
- Strategic Planning
- Litigation Support
Core Services To Dealerships:
- Independently Reviewed Financial Statements
- Income Tax Compliance & Planning
- Operational Consulting
- LIFO Annual Computation
- When state governments forced dealerships to close because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Boyer & Ritter immediately started working with NADA and the PAA to help dealers learn what government assistance was available. We realized dealers needed specific advice on how to apply and use crucial Payroll Protection Program loans. Partnering with a New England-based accounting firm, we created the “PPP Loan Forgiveness Workbook,” a free guide downloaded more than 50,000 times to date. The guide helps dealerships – and other businesses – not only obtain a PPP loan but also effectively use and track the money to maximize forgiveness.
- When the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) needed a subject matter expert to assist in educating the United States Congress on the role of floorplan financing in dealership operations and the potentially catastrophic impact a limited tax deduction could create, they called Boyer & Ritter to offer first-hand testimony and industry background to ensure the floorplan carve-out was included in the 2017 TCJA.
- When NADA needed a CPA firm to create “A Dealer Guide to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017”, they called Boyer & Ritter to co-author the guide.
- When the Pennsylvania Automotive Association (PAA) was asking the Board of Vehicles in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to increase the maximum amount that a dealer in the state can charge as a doc fee, they called on Boyer & Ritter to prepare an independent analysis of the Estimated Costs to Comply with the relevant code section, resulting in a 171% ($245) increase to the doc fee for all dealers in the state.
We are a founding member of the AutoCPA Group, the oldest nationwide 20 group of CPA firms specializing in servicing dealerships throughout the United States and Canada (1,700+ dealers). In addition, we are active members in many industry associations, including Pennsylvania Automotive Association and Maryland Automobile Dealers Association. We are frequently asked by NADA to assist with advocacy projects on behalf of the industry.
News & Events
- Boyer & Ritter announces Daniel Thompson retiring, but will continue consulting with the firm as Principal Emeritus08.11.2022
- Senior member of Boyer & Ritter’s Government Services and Auto Dealership groups elected Principal-Owner by firm’s leadership07.01.2021
- Accountant with more than 20 years of experience in the automotive community joins Boyer & Ritter’s growing Dealership Services Group11.25.2019
- Union League Liberty Hill, 11.14.2022
- Boyer & Ritter’s Daniel Thompson and Jay Goldman to Present LIFO Webinar for the Pennsylvania Automotive Association12.15.2021
- PAA Webinar: PPP Program Update for Auto Dealers – Recent Changes and Forgiveness Application Process10.29.2020
View recordings of previous webinars.
Download PDF issues of Headlights, a seasonal newsletter publication produced by AutoCPA Group.
Boyer & Ritter is a founding member of the AutoCPA Group, the oldest nationwide 20 Group of CPA firms specializing in servicing automobile dealerships throughout the United States and Canada (over 1,700 dealers).
Headlights – NADA 2023 edition (PDF)
Headlights Spring/Summer 2022 (PDF)
Headlights - NADA 2022 Edition (PDF)
Headlights Spring/Summer 2021 (PDF)
Headlights – NADA 2020 edition (PDF)
To request a printed copy of Headlights by mail, please email email@example.com to be added to our mailing list.
ERTC Support Services
ERTC Support Services
Dealerships are eligible for the Employee Retention Tax Credit - worth up to $5,000 per employee
Dealerships in PA were shut down by government orders from March 19 - April 20, 2020, which means your PA dealership qualifies for and may be able to take advantage of this valuable tax credit.
Calculating ERTC credits can be complicated. You should work with an experienced tax advisor to ensure your dealership is getting the maximum benefit allowed.
Boyer & Ritter’s ERTC Task Force is here to assist you throughout this process by:
- Evaluating your eligibility for 2020 and 2021 credits
- Computing the credit
- Amending any necessary payroll tax returns (Form 941) to claim the credit
- Coordinating and running scenarios relating to both loan forgiveness and ERTC
- Answering any questions regarding ERTC, PPP forgiveness, and related processes
To get started, download this brief questionnaire, complete the questionnaire and submit it to our ERTC task force per the instructions at the bottom of the form. A member of the ERTC task force will begin to evaluate your eligibility based on the details you provide and contact you with the next steps.
- Jay A. Goldman
- David A. Bourne
- Mariya Cawley
- Romulus C. Comly
- Charles H. Evans, IV
- J. Gregory Hamm
- Kailee A. Hirschbock
- Joel C. Kreider
- Jeremy D. Medernach
- Christopher M. Merkey
- Donna M. Mullin
- Robert J. Murphy
- Jordan L. Sallavanti
- Jeremy J. Scheibelhut
- Casey Surridge
- Thomas J. Taricani
- Daniel P. Thompson
- Jacqueline G. Yoder
- Nathaniel J. Yost
- Senahid "Z" Zahirovic
- Audit, Review, Compilation Services
- Business Tax Services
- Cost Segregation Studies
- Employee Benefit Plans
- ERTC and Business Relief Support Services
- Estate Planning and Trusts
- Fraud/Forensic Investigation Services
- Individual Tax Preparation and Wealth Management
- Litigation Support Services
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Risk Management
- Succession Planning
- Valuation Advisory Services