Edward R. Jenkins
Summary of Experience
Edward R. Jenkins is a Senior Tax Consultant with Boyer & Ritter who manages special tax projects within the firm in addition to client service. He is a seasoned business executive and educator with an extensive educational background in taxation. He has an extensive body of unpublished research and technical writing for publicly held and private businesses. He has published numerous print and online articles on tax, accounting, and business topics. He has been quoted in CCH Federal Tax Weekly and USA Today.
Beyond working at Boyer & Ritter, Mr. Jenkins is the chair of the Editorial Board of a quarterly professional journal, published by the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (“PICPA”) entitled The CPA Journal. He also chairs the PICPA Federal Tax Committee. Mr. Jenkins also serves as a member of the PICPA Board of Directors. His service to the profession includes AICPA Tax and PFP Division membership and participation in committees and task force. He has testified before the PA Stimulus Oversight Commission. Mr. Jenkins currently serves the students of Penn State as an instructor of accounting at The Pennsylvania State University.
Education and Certifications
Villanova School of Law, Villanova University, Villanova, PA
Master of Taxation, (Joint L.L.M. Program). Completed in December 2001. Emphasis in International and Corporate Taxation.
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
Master of Business Administration, May 1984. Emphasized both Accounting and International Business. Graduate Assistant in International Business, independently teaching IB 103.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, November 1977. Major in International Economics.
Licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in Pennsylvania (December 4, 1987).
Member – AICPA Tax and PFP Divisions and the PICPA. Chair the editorial board of The CPA Journal, a quarterly magazine for members of the PICPA (2013-2015). Serve on the Federal Tax Committee of the PICPA (Chair 2014-2016). PICPA Board of Directors (2015-2017). Serve as Liaison to the IRS for the PICPA, representing the 23,000 PICPA members. Served the AICPA on International Tax Technical Resource Panel (2010-2014).
In addition to the demonstrated abilities in teaching and writing, Mr. Jenkins has substantial expertise in:
- Managed tax compliance, planning, audits, appeals, litigation, and administration in multinational and multi-state environments.
- Successfully closed Federal “Joint Committee” and large case audits at NYSE companies. Closed numerous state audits through a variety of tactics including settlements, appeals, and litigation. Managed multinational Competent Authority proceedings.
- Developed and implemented a variety of processes to calculate and maintain domestic and international deferred tax calculations.
- Addressed professional organizations and management of private companies on a variety of current Federal and State tax topics.
- Foreign tax compliance, Foreign Sales Corporation compliance and planning including FTGR identification projects, transaction by transaction projects, and product line profitability analyses.
- Authored research on a variety of multinational tax topics including entity choice, dual consolidated losses, overall foreign losses, IRS “9100” appeals, repatriation and transfer pricing issues.
- Foreign tax credit planning and modeling including analyses of opportunities for super holding companies, Section 269B stapled entities, royalty/management companies, and inversion analysis.
- Developed and implemented multinational tax and financial reporting electronic data gathering packages. Lectured on multinational tax management and consolidation procedures.
- Performed tax basis studies (post 1994 regulations), corporate earnings and profits studies, Subchapter S corporation stock and loan basis and multinational earnings deferral studies.
- Authored MBA Paper on managing translation exposure.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Assisted in structuring deals, performing financial and tax due diligence procedures.
- Performed international and domestic post-merger integration activities.
- Prepared financing packages for LBO’s and coordinated work with investment bankers.
- Analyzed alternative book and tax accounting treatments.
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, Instructor of Accounting
August, 2014 to Present
Boyer & Ritter, LLC, State College, PA, Tax Consultant
October 2014 to Present.
CBIZ MHM, LLC, Plymouth Meeting, PA, Tax Director
November, 2012 to August 2014..
The Pennsylvania State University, York, PA, Instructor of Business
January, 2002 to December 2012 (Adjunct January 2002 to June 2004, and Great Valley 2013)
Jenkins & Co., LLC, Managing Member – Certified Public Accounting Practice
June 1991 to November 2012 (Part-time 1994-2001)
Ernst & Young, LLP, Harrisburg, PA, Tax Consulting Senior Manager
February 2000 to September 2001
Detweiler, Hershey & Associates, P.C., Souderton, PA, Director of Taxation
January 1999 to February 2000
P. H. Glatfelter Co. (NYSE), Spring Grove, PA, Corporate Tax Manager
November 1994 to December 1998
Coopers & Lybrand LLP (PwC), Harrisburg, PA, General Practice Audit (Sr.) Manager
January 1989 to June 1991
Ellin & Tucker, Chartered, Baltimore, MD, Manager – Audit, Accounting and MAS Department
December 1986 to December 1988
The Union Corporation (NYSE), South Norwalk, CT., Corporate Controller
December 1985 to November 1986
KMG Main Hurdman (KPMG), Stamford CT., Senior Accountant
January 1984 to December 1985